There are a lot of things that you can resort when you want your wastes to be eliminated easily and one of these is the garbage disposal. This kitchen machine has been gaining attention ever since it was invented because of its ability to really make it easier for you to manage your unwanted items.
Now, this is not your usual machine as it doesn’t accommodate everything.
Yes, you’ve read it right.
The only things that you can store in a disposal are the ones that are biodegradable a.k.a. food items.
Yes, a garbage disposal isn’t perfect. But it has its own reasons. Items that are not biodegradable makes it difficult for the disposal to grind as they are hard objects. Plus, these items can cause jams and clogs to the appliance, making it impossible to eliminate the wastes.
Now, when can you use a garbage disposal? If you have a restaurant and you constantly make meat foods, then you cannot really use a disposal for them since they have large bones. Things like these should be noted before you start investing for a garbage disposal.
The following are the things that you have to remember if you want to use a garbage disposal.
Take note of the things that you should down.
- If you want to manage fibrous foods, then you cannot use a garbage disposal. Fibrous foods such as artichokes, celery, lettuce, corn husks, onion skins, carrots, potato peels, and asparagus are things that you should not let in your disposal because they wrap around the grinding teeth and they stop the appliance from operating. Now, you can’t really avoid fibrous foods from entering the disposal since there are times when you just can’t do it. If this is the case, you have to put them but in very small quantities. Run a cold water before, during, and after using a disposal you put the fibrous foods.
- You cannot let oily, fatty, and greasy foods to enter the disposal. These kinds of foods will only just cover the shredding teeth, making it difficult for the disposal to carry out its task. Not only that. Grease also causes a foul odor because it eventually decays. It also clogs the drains whenever it solidifies.
- People usually think that egg shells can sharpen the blades of a disposer. This is not at all true. Egg shells have stringy membrane layers with them. When these layers are combined with the egg shells, they create a sand-like consistency which makes the pipes of the disposal clogged.
- Non-food items are a big no-no when it comes to using a garbage disposal. Examples of these foods are cigarette butts, pull tabs, flower and plant clippings, rubber bands, sponges, and twist ties. It’s impossible to break these things out in order to wash down the drain, so to avoid clogging from happening, do not let these items go down your disposal.
- All brands of garbage disposals are equal when it comes to their functions so even if you have the best model of disposal, if you put unsuitable items in it, it really won’t function efficiently the way you want it to.
Cleaning a Garbage Disposal
When cleaning a garbage disposal, especially the one that smells, you should start by turning the unit on and running a cold water.
Next, make a few ice cubes and feed them into the disposal immediately. Doing this will freeze everything that is stuck in the disposal, making the whole cleaning process a lot more efficient.
Once done, run the water for about a minute and if you notice a foul smells from the disposal, use a lemon, chop it up, and feed it down the disposal. Be sure, however, to choose small chucks so the impeller blades can work efficiently without encountering a trouble.
We all want to prevent foul smells to linger, so to get rid of this, you should have a biodegradable drain cleaning product with you. A perfect example for this is Bio-Clean. Try to refrain from using drain cleaners as they are composed of fine sand and bleach. Using drain cleaners will potentially corrode your unit’s guts and destroy it.
When Your Garbage Disposal Jams, What Do You Need to Do?
This is one of the common problems when you won a garbage disposal. There is always a potential for jams especially if you can’t help but feed the disposal with food items that should not be placed there. To be able to troubleshoot it, you don’t necessarily have to depend on a professional service, but instead you must do it yourself. If your model is spinning and the sink is clogged, then you have to clean it manually.
Now, if you find your garbage disposal quite used, what you need to do is to run a lot of water. Do this before, during, and after you feed any content into it.
The most important thing that you need to remember is to just take good care of it and use it properly so that it won’t get clogged or encounter any problems. Using a garbage disposal with a lot of care extends its life span. You can even make use of it for how many years. The secret is to really maintain it through regular cleaning and proper use.
There are a lot of advantages when you own a garbage disposal, but to be able to enjoy its use and benefits, you have to know the things that you should do and should not do. Take note of the food items that should not be included inside the disposal so you can be assured that the item will last for how many years.
A garbage disposal may be tough but it could not withstand anything that may hider its ability to do its task, such as hard items and non-food stuff. Before you use it, make sure that you know all the details about its proper use and make sure that you do the responsibility of regularly cleaning it.